Stefan’s extensive international experience in leadership in the global research arena is including The United States of America, The United Kingdom, Israel, Austria, Canada, The People’s Republic of China, France, Italy, Hungary, Philippines, Serbia, The Republic of Moldova, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Romania, Belgium, Georgia. He developed research programs in various topics and in over 15 years of experience in building research collaborations between industry and international partners and leading teams with positive outcomes in cutting-edge research. Initiatives and strategic leadership in research led Stefan to being awarded the highest honor in education in Romania, The Order of “Merit of Education” as Knight.
A selection of research projects:
- 2012-ongoing – The Education Studio, Macquarie University
- 2010-ongoing (under publication) – University corridors: from non-spaces to dynamic learning spaces.
- 2012 – ongoing: Coordinator of Innovation and Scholarship Program, Macquarie University
- 2011 to 2013: The development of undergraduates’ awareness of, and engagement in, research. Brew, A. and Popenici, S (coordinators)
- 2011 to 2013: “Visibility of undergraduate research across the university” A. Brew and S. Popenici: research on visual representations and messages related with research activities and profiles across the university.
- 2011 to 2012: Enhancing student engagement through small group pedagogies in a large class environment: a case study of the C5C Forum. Robertson, G. (coordinator), Popenici, S. (researcher):
- 2006-2009: International Research Network on Imaginative Education (IRNIE)
- 2006 to 2009: “Inclusion through Imagination: Focus on ADHD”. Tarnoveanu N. and Popenici S (coord.)
- 2008: “International imaginative education” under Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada – International Opportunities Fund. (Coord. Egan, K., Popenici, S., Fettes, M., and Blenkinsop, S.)
- 2008: “Cultural capitals’ influence on educational performance”, Institute for Educational Sciences, S. Popenici (coord.)
- 2007: “Educational management and culture of quality at school level”, Institute for Educational Sciences, O. Mantaluta, S. Popenici (coord.).
- 2006: “Motivation for learning and social success”, Institute for Educational Sciences
- 2000 to 2003: “Organisational cultures in education”, Institute for Educational Sciences Romania, S. Iosifescu (coord.), S. Popenici: Findings used for a Romanian “Educational Reform Project” co-funded by the government and the World Bank, as well as the “Transformation of Educational Management in Romania – TEMIR”.
- 2001: “Education against racism, discrimination and anti-Semitism national project”, Ministry of Education and Research Romania, S. Popenici (coord.)
- 2001 (consultant) “IEQ secondary education reform case studies” Institute for International Studies in Education, University of Pittsburgh.
- 2001 (consultant) “Education for Democratic Citizenship”, Council of Europe
- 2000: “Database for financing educational system”, Institute for Educational Sciences, Bucharest, Romania (Popenici, S., Pescaru, A., Badescu, M.). Collection of studies, indicators and model for financing the Romanian educational system, used by policy makers and high-ranking Ministry of Education officials.
- 1999: “A Study on Educational Reform’s Impact at School Level”, Institute for Educational Sciences, Bucharest, Romania (Popenici, S. & Blendea, P.). A research used to reform the model of the school inspection in Romania, used by the Ministry of Education to evaluate the impact of educational policies implemented after the start of the educational reform project.