Book Chapters (peer reviewed)
- Popenici, S. (2015). Building and Rebuilding the Individual as a Teleological Function of Educational Imagery. In Pochta, Y., Chunsong G. and Kaulemu, D. (Eds.), Re-storying the ‘Polis’: Civil Society as Narrative Reconstruction, (Chapter: VI, pp.113 – 124). Washington D.C.: The Council for Research in Values and Philosophy
- Popenici, S. (2015). Deceptive promises: the meaning of MOOCs-hype for higher education. In McKay, E., & Lenarcic, J. (2015). Macro-Level Learning through Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs): Strategies and Predictions for the Future. Hershey, PA: IGI Global – DOI:4018/978-1-4666-8324-2
- Popenici, S. (2015 – under publication). The fading art of handwriting. What is in the choice between computer typing and handwriting. In Joubert, L. (Ed.), Educating in the crafts – The Global Experience. Dordrecht: Springer
- Popenici, S. (2013). Towards a new vision for university governance, pedagogies and student engagement. In Dunne, E. and Owen, E. (Eds.), The Student Engagement Handbook: Practice in Higher Education. Bingley, UK: Emerald Publishing
- Popenici, S. and Brew, A. (2013). Reading Walls on University Corridors: Transitional Learning Spaces in Campus. In Vicars, M. and McKenna, T. (Eds.), Discourse, power, and resistance Down Under: Volume 2 (pp. 145-156). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Popenici, S. (2011). Students’ Engagement, Functional Imagination and Curriculum Design for Creativity and Innovation. In Enhancing Curriculum Relevance (pp. 219-235). Bucharest: Ed. Universitara.
- Popenici, S. (2010) Contemporary Heroes and Students’ Motivation for Learning. In Egan, K., Madej, K. (Eds.), Engaging imaginations and developing creativity. (pp. 159-176) Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- Popenici, S (2007) Imagination in education. In Stiintele educatiei: dictionar enciclopedic (Education sciences: encyclopaedic dictionary). Noveanu, E., Potolea, D., Eds.) Bucharest: Sigma Publishing
Book Chapters (not peer reviewed)
- Popenici, S. (2005). View of Nature in Romania. In Nature-views 40 countries in the World. Youth Friendship Association in Japan. Tokyo: Institute of Field Culture Research
- Popenici, S. (Editor and co-author) (2005) Motivatia invatarii si reusita sociala. (Motivation for learning and social success). Bucharest: Institute for Educational Sciences
- Popenici, S. (2003). Culturi organizationale in scoala romaneasca II (Organizational cultures in Romanian education II). Bucharest: Institute for Educational Sciences
- Popenici, S. (2001). Ghid de management pentru şcolile din zone defavorizate (Management Guide for Schools within Disadvantaged Areas). Bucharest: Institute of Educational Sciences
- Popenici, S. and Kerr, S. (2013). What Undermines Higher Education – and How This Impacts Employment, Economies and Our Democracies. Charleston, SC: CreateSpace
- Popenici, S., Fartusnic, C. (2009). Motivatia pentru invatare. De ce ar trebui sa le pese copiilor de ea si ce putem face pentru asta. (Motivation for learning. Why should children care about it and what can we do something for it). Bucharest: Didactica Publishing House
- Popenici, S., Tarnoveanu, N., Fartusnic, C. (2008). Managementul clasei pentru elevii cu ADHD (Classroom management for ADHD students), Bucharest: Didactica Publishing House
- Popenici, S., Tarnoveanu, N., Fartusnic, C., Mantaluta, O. (2008). Strategii didactice pentru elevii cu ADHD (Educational strategies for ADHD students). Bucharest, Didactica Publishing House
- Egan, K., Popenici, S. (2007). Educatia elevilor hiperactivi si cu deficit de atentie. Ghid pentru parinti si cadrele didactice din invatamantul preuniversitar. (Educational strategies for ADHD students. A Guide for parents and teachers in primary and secondary education). Bucharest, Didactica Press
- Popenici, S., Tat, A. (2007). Romanian philosophical culture, globalization, and education; Globalization, Nationalism and Romania’s Educational Reform(s). Council for Research in Values and Philosophy: Washington DC
- Popenici, S (2001). Pedagogia alternativa (Alternative Pedagogy). Polirom: Iasi
Journal Articles (Peer-reviewed)
- Popenici, S. (2015). How universities can nurture creativity for graduate employability. International HETL Review, 5(9), URL: https://www.hetl.org/how-universities-can-nurture-creativity-for-graduate-employability
- Hajdarpasic, A., Brew, A. & Popenici, S. (2013). The contribution of academics’ engagement in research to undergraduate education. Studies in Higher Education 40 (4), pp. 644-657 doi: 10.1080/03075079.2013.842215
- Popenici, S. (2012). Students’ imaginations and emergence of creativity through curriculum. Argument for a new educational paradigm for universities. CCE 2012. pp. 885-892. Shanghai: Scientific Research Publishing
- Popenici, S. (2005). Teaching Responsible Citizenship through Imaginative Narrative Mythological Structures. Teaching Education, Vol. 16, No. 1, March 2005, pp. 35-42
- Popenici, S. (2002). Case Studies In Secondary Education Reform, American Institutes for Research in collaboration with The Academy for Educational Development, Education Development Center, Inc., Juárez and Associates, Inc., The University of Pittsburgh
- Popenici, S. (2001). Management Guide for Schools within Disadvantaged Areas (Ghid de management pentru scolile din zone defavorizate) Institute of Educational Sciences, Bucharest
- Popenici, S. (2001) Children rights and protection within Romanian Educational System (Protectia si drepturile copilului in sistemul romanesc de invatamant), Revista de pedagogie, Institute of Educational Sciences, Bucharest
- Popenici, S. (2000). Gnoseologie si hermeneutica (Gnoseology and hermeneutics). Targoviste: Ed. Preprint Academicon, pp.55-59.
- Popenici, S. (1999). Nevoia educatiei pentru valori (The need for moral education). Timisoara: Revista de Stiintele Educatiei, 1/1999, pp. 38 – 40
- Popenici, S. (1999). Arta si stiinta educatiei de Cesar Birzea. (The Art and Science of Education by Cesar Birzea), Timisoara: Revista de Stiintele Educatiei, 1/1999, p.89
- Popenici, S. (1998). Sistemul romanesc de invatamant intre criza de reforma si criza de identitate (Romanian educational system between a crisis of reform and a crisis of identity). Bucharest: Lumea Romaneasca Acum, 28/1998
- Popenici, S. (1997). Iluzia schimbarii (The Illusion of Change), Bucharest: Sfera Politicii, 47, pp. 58-60.
- Popenici, S. (1996). Logica dialectica a manipularii (The Dialectical Logic of Manipulation). Bucharest: Sfera Politicii, 45, pp. 60-62
- Popenici, S. (1995). Dimensiunea culturala a operei lui Stefan Barsanescu (The Cultural Dimension of Stefan Barsanescu’s Work). Revista de pedagogie, Bucuresti, 5-8, pp. 35-92
- Popenici, S. (1995). Folclorul si educatia contemporana (The folklore and contemporary education). Bucharest: Revista de pedagogie, 1-4, pp. 105-107
Peer-reviewed conference papers and presentations
- Brew, A., Hajdarpasic, A., Jewell, E., & Popenici, S. (2012). Working in Partnership with students; undergraduate research and the scholarship of academic practice. Paper presented at the Conference of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: Research on Teaching and Learning: Integrating Practices. Hamilton, Ontario, Canada – 22-27 October 2012.
- Popenici, S (2006). Internationalisation of Higher Education: Erasmus vs. GATS. “Education With/Out Borders. SASAMAT Fifth Annual Faculty of Education-Wide Symposium” Belcarra Park, Port Moody, Canada.
- Popenici, S. (2006). Imagine the future: role models and students’ captured imagination. Paper presented at The Imaginative Education Research Symposium, 12-15 July, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver B.C., Canada.
- Popenici, S. (2005), Motivatia invatarii si reusita sociala (Motivation for learning and social success). The Institute of Educational Sciences, Bucharest, Romania.
- Popenici, S (2004). Teaching Responsible Citizenship through Imaginative Narrative Mythological Structures. Keynote Speaker at 2nd International Conference on Imagination and Education, IERG-Simon Fraser University. Vancouver, BC, Canada – July.
- Popenici, S (2004). Globalization and Romanian Educational System’s Reform. Presented at the International Colloquium “Education and Multiculturalism. National Unity and Global Solidarity”, Institute for Educational Sciences Romania & Council for Research in Values and Philosophy (USA), Bucharest, Romania.
- Popenici, S (2003). “Teacher stories”. Presented at the Professional Workshop “Narrative construal of Identity”, by Paul Costello, Director of Center for Narrative Studies – Washington D.C., Bucharest, Romania.
- Popenici, S (2001). Citizenship Education in Romania. Presented at the National Seminar on Education for Democratic Citizenship, jointly organized by the Ministry of Education and Sports of Serbia, UNESCO and the Council of Europe. Belgrade, Serbia.
- Popenici, S (2001). “Education for All in Romania”. Presented at the National Conference for MATRA Project “Equal Chances for Romany Children: School Development Programs and parents’ Involvement”. Sinaia, Romania, October.